The Hussite King Jiří of Poděbrady
On Friday, 13 August 1462 there was a meeting at the Royal Court in Prague's Old Town chaired by King Jiří of Poděbrady, in which Utraquists and Catholics, including the Bishops of Vratislav and Olomouc, took part.
Appearing before the King is Fantinus de Valle, a doctor of laws and originally a member of the delegation that was dispatched to Rome by Jiří of Poděbrady himself to obtain confirmation of the Compact of Basel from Pope Pius II and especially of the right to receive communion in both kinds. Fantinus returned in the role of a Papal legate bearing the Pope's refusal. He appealed to Jiří to submit to Rome, which Jiří indignantly refused.
Mucha's attempt to present Jiří as a counterweight to the Roman Church led him to depict Fantinus with the characteristic profile of Pope Pius II himself. An overturned chair reminds us that the legate was not permitted to sit in a place of honour in retaliation for the disrespectful treatment of the Bohemian delegation in Rome. Standing next to Fantinus is Jan of Rabštejn, Provost of Vyšehrad, in the role of interpreter, as Jiří did not understand Latin. The result of this face-off is announced to viewers by a boy in the foreground who is meaningfully holding a closed book with the word Roma written on the cover.
The scene takes place in an architectural space that no longer existed at the time the painting was made. Mucha chose to make the central motif of this imagined space its Gothic window, illuminated by the sun, with tracery forming a complex hermetic composition made up of connected circles.
The Present Past
- Alfons Mucha Slav Epic
- 1 Slavs in Their Original Homeland
- 2 The Celebration of Svantovit on Rügen
- 3 The Introduction of the Slavonic Liturgy
- 4 Tsar Simeon I of Bulgaria
- 5 King Ottokar II of Bohemia
- 6 The Coronation of the Serbian Tsar Stefan Uroš Dušan as East Roman Emperor
- 7 Jan Milíč of Kroměříž
- 8 Master Jan Hus Preaching at the Bethlehem Chapel
- 9 The Gathering at Křížky
- 10 After the Battle of Grunwald
- 11 After the Battle of Vítkov Hill
- 12 Petr Chelčický at Vodňany
- 13 The Hussite King Jiří of Poděbrady
- 14 The Defense of Szigetvár by Nicholas Zrinsky
- 15 The Brethren School at Ivančice
- 16 John Amos Comenius in Naarden
- 17 The Abolition of Serfdom in Russia
- 18 Mount Athos
- 19 The Oath of the Youth Under the Slavic Linden Tree
- 20 Apotheosis of the Slavs